[SunRescue] Optical mice & newsprint

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Mon Mar 13 08:30:23 CST 2000

nick at ns.snowman.net wrote:

> I've been having no luck netbooting an ultra 5.  Any
> tips/pointers?  It requests the file from the tftp server,
> then rerequests the file.  I let it rerequest for ~3hrs
> with no results.

I found this when trying to netboot an SLC from a Linux box.
Using tcpdump I found that the server received the request
fine, but wanted to arp the SLC's address before sending the
response. The SLC never responded to the arp.

The SLC booted fine from a Solaris box, and I have also
managed to netboot a 3/50 and a 3/60 from the Linux box.
I haven't traced either of these.

I also haven't had time to pore over the RFCs to work out
whether the Sun is at fault for not responding to the arp,
or whether the Linux box is at fault because it doesn't
update its arp cache when it receives a packet.

You could probably work around this problem using proxy
ARP. I think this may be what Solaris does.

--m