[SunRescue] 4/690MP IPI stuff

Innfomail at aol.com Innfomail at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 09:01:46 CST 2000

In a message dated 3/17/2000 4:12:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mrbill at mrbill.net writes:

> > Can someone enlighten me as to what IPI drives are? I know what MFM, RLL,
>  > IDE, SCSI, etc., are but not IPI.
>
>  IPI = Intelligent Peripheral Interface.

In the days when SCSI II was the fastest interface ( late 80s ) IPI was
developed to be even faster. It started out at 20 Mbs and was planned to go
to 80 Mbs. The BIIN Computers used SCSI for most of the peripherals but used
mirrored IPI drives for data storage. The drives were manufactured by NEC
with 9" HDAs IIRC. 1.2 Gig was a small drive. I am not sure what happened to
the technology.

I have two or three 4/690MP IPI controllers that I would consider parting
with. You can daisy chain the drives but I am not sure how many can be hooked
up at once. Somewhere I have some IPI terminators also.

Paxton