[SunRescue] Sun3 Booting

Chris Powell Chris_Powell at mitel.com
Mon Mar 13 04:56:17 CST 2000

James B wrote:

>    As the owner of a large number of Sun-3's, I can personally testify that
> when set to poll for boot devices, they look at SCSI ID 0. You can force
> them to boot from higher IDs, either manually at the prompt or by setting
> an explicit boot device in the PROM.

If I recall correctly, certain 3/60 boot PROMs would only boot from
sd(0,0,0) (i.e. SCSI id set to 0) or st(0,0,0) (QIC-24 tape at SCSI
id 4). I'm pretty sure versions 1.5 and 1.6 did this. I actually
upgraded by 3/60 from 1.6 to 3.0.1 a couple of weeks ago as 1.6 won't
boot from CD-ROM (even a Sun one).

Chris.