[SunRescue] Sparcstation with 0 MB (does it boot ?)

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Fri Mar 10 10:09:14 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>G'day,
>
>I just bought 2 sparcstation-2's, one of them doesn't boot (it doesn't do
>anything, the on led (light) just goes on and that's it) - the other one
>works just fine.
>
>I opened up the one that doesn't do anything and I noticed there aren't
>any
>memory modules in it at all. Is this why it's not doing anything at all or
>is there something more amiss ? (this because I was expecting at least a
>PROMP prompt - even with 0 MB of memory)
>
>Then another silly question, I tried to remove some of the memory of the
>first box (which has 64MB) to try to figure out if this was the problem
>in the 2nd box. Question ; How the heck does one remove memory ?, I looks
>like there are 2 little 'clips' which go into the hole of the memory
>module
>(on both ends) and if you hold these 2 back you should be able to pull the
>module out ... no luck at all, the damn things are stuck like hell. Is
>there
>something else I forgot or do I just need to apply brute force (e.g. it's
>hammer time ;-)
>

>Cheers,
>sparky

I think the SS2 has the same slots as the IPC, which you ignore the little
clips, and pull the simm straight up out of the slots.  A steel hooked
dentist pick makes a great tool, just stick it through the hole in the
simm and pull.  I also have used a pair of pliers without any ill results,
but wouldn't recommend it if you had alternatives.  I think there is an
"official" tool with a Sun part number, but I have never seen one.

Tim