[SunRescue] tape as block device?

Kurt Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Fri Mar 3 19:36:55 CST 2000

I thought about CD, but Solaris 2.6 won't let you grant "write" permission
to a CD - besides, the data is on a CD to begin with.

Here's the full problem:
I'm trying to install software on my Sparc Classic that requires the
"install_from" directory to have WRITE access.  Since the "install_from"
directory is a CD-ROM - I can't assign that permission (even if I stop vold
and mount it someplace else, Solaris still assigns read-only permissions).
READ and EXECUTE are assigned, but the install script looks for WRITE and
won't continue without it.
Local storage is at a minimum, so I won't have enough space to copy the
install files onto disk and then install it.  My other *nix boxen also are
slight of available space too, so mounting remote volumes is out of the
question.
I don't have a spare external drive to attach, so that's not an option.
My next thought was to use the tape drive as a mounted volume, just for
purposes of copying the files to tape and installing from there.

Does this explain it?  Sounds simple enough, but does it work?

Kurt