[SunRescue] Best prices on SS20/Ultra compatible RAM... and s ome disk pointer s/finds

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Jun 28 16:08:36 CDT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Yeah, nobody has decided to give me any Sun3's yet, and the only machines
> that I used from close to that era were Apple II, so I can't justify buying
> them.  Besides, my room is too small for any more VME crates. :-)
> There are patches available for Linux, something called 'devfs', that fixes
> the SCSI disk problems.  I like that the Solaris names are fixed, but
> they're long to read, so hopefully that doesn't get copied too much.  Or at
> least get's broken down with a few /s.

That's right... devfs IS supposed to fix that.... Hmmm... I may have
a project on my hands =)

> I've been bashing Debian for a while now, because nobody there has read the
> stuff by ESR that says "release early, release often".  I realize that he
> was talking about software, but I think the same applies for distributions.
> Anyway, the kernel that I did that testing on was 2.2.14.  Anton and David
> tell me that the 2.4.x kernels will actually have functional drivers for the
> SCSI systems on SPARC, I'll be doing some testing on that just as soon as I
> get word that things are stable.

I'm torn on the whole Debian thing.  I mean, I really don't like using
other distributions, but the slowness is annoying.  I've been using
2.2 for about six months now, and it's nice, shame it's not actually
released yet.  But the package management system on Debian is a thing of
beauty.  I wish Solaris's package managament even came close.

I have something to look forward to in 2.4 then...  That would be
rather nice.  REAL SCSI drivers =)

> Oh, the Debian people are correct that the 2.2.x kernel, and more
> specifically 2.2.3 and later, are the first REAL Linux kernels for SPARC.
> Before then, SPARC was still a separate patch tree so upgrading the kernel
> was a royal pain.
> 	Greg

Yeah, I did play with Debian 2.1 which was 2.0.x based... and doing the
kernel WAS a real pain in the tuchus.

--Kurt