[SunRescue] disks for SPARCstarage array

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Jun 21 12:07:52 CDT 2000

This is a SCSI-SCSI RAID box, then?  Have you done any testing to see what
exactly this means?  On our BRAND NEW Compaq DS20, the largest RAID array
that we could create was 32,768MB, on a single array.  However, we could do
this use any combination of drives that we liked, from 9GB drives, up to
18GB drives.  So, is this box limited to a total of 30 9GB drives, or is it
limited to a total of 252GB, which could be about 15 18GB drives?

> field-technician to me that) It's fair enough to put 7,200rpm and
> 10,000rpm drives in there since these have much lower access time,
> usually down to 5-7.5 ms.
> Remeber that these arrays have 6 seperate Fast-Wide SCSI-channel
> distributed among the 30 drive connectors, so try to change 6
> drives at
> a time to distribute the workload if you use striping.
>
> +-----+ +-----+ +-----+             +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
> |     | |     | |     |             | 9GB | | 9GB | | 9GB |
> | ch1 | | ch3 | | ch5 |             | 2GB | | 2GB | | 2GB |
> |     | |     | |     |             |     | |     | |     |
> +-----+ +-----+ +-----+             +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
> |     | |     | |     |             | 9GB | | 9GB | | 9GB |
> | ch2 | | ch4 | | ch6 |             | 2GB | | 2GB | | 2GB |
> |     | |     | |     |             |     | |     | |     |
> +-----+ +-----+ +-----+             +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
>   ^ front of array ^                  ^ front of array ^
>
> > I use them attached to a 1000E as a disk farm for PC backup.
> >
> > Great list, I have been lurking for a month now and used
> info off the list a
> > half dozen times already.
>
> I don't know how many times I've have had use for this
> list... probably
> too many to count. :-)
>
> Greg, feel free to take notes into the HW-ref

Yep, the info is getting filed, thanks.  Maybe I'll just have to write some
random snippits for now...
	Greg

P.S.  I'm assuming that info here is pretty much PD, since it's going to a
mailing list...