[Re: [SunRescue] Any experience with IDE to SCSI adapters???]

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jun 19 07:52:18 CDT 2000

For SPARCBook applications an adapter is *required* for anything over 1.2G,
since that is the largest ever made (in significant volume). I have one
myself in my
SPARCBook, and it works fine. But I would have gone for 2.5" SCSI if it were
in any way possible to do so with a drive larger than 1.2G.

SCA<->Narrow is not a protocol change (as SCSI<->IDE is) as much as it is
exploiting the design of the drive. These drives are made to accept narrow
data
paths, the adapters simply terminate parts of the "wide" path to make them
compatible. There is no logic on an SCA<->Narrow adapter that interprets
every request like an SCSI<->IDE adapter.

HTH,

Ken