[SunRescue] SS1000 Disk Board

Magnus Abrante Magnus.Abrante at nocke.Sweden.Sun.COM
Thu Jun 15 13:26:24 CDT 2000

Grettings,

> > I just picked up a board for a SS1000 that holds four SCSI drives. It has
> > three SCSI connectors on the front panel. One is SCSI-in, one is SCSI-out,
> > the third is unlabeled. There are PC traces from the X-Mbus connector to
> > circuitry on the board.
>
> I have 2 of these in my SS1000 as well.
>
> > What is the third unlabeled SCSI connector for?
>
> I have never been able to figure this out either.  The docs I have don't
> tell me.  I put the SCSI cable from the SCSI card to the IN, then put a
> terminator on the OUT connector, and it works.

Well, as far as i can see the third SCSI connector was placed on the
earlier types of this board (501-2066 and 501-2244), but was removed
on the later ones.

It doesnt appears to be used to anything at all, i think its unused and
placed there for future use or something.

> > What are the PC traces from the X-Mbus connector connection to?
>
> My guess would be power?  The SCA drives that go in these have no external
> power connectors - the power for the drive comes thru the SCA connector
> itself.

I dont really know which part you mean, but there is a power converter
following the XDBus connector (i think it converts the power from the
XDBus to something that the disks can handle).

> > Is the SCSI disk bay in the front of the chassis connected to the same SCSI
> > connector on the front panel of the CPU board?
>
> I don't know.

Me neither, but as far as i remember the SCSI tray in front of the chassi
is controlled by the SCSI controller on the first CPU board.

Hope this answer some questions :)

	//Magnus Abrante
/* This is not the opinion of my company, its just my own */