[SunRescue] Loading SS5 up with disks...

Patrick Giagnocavo a222 at redrose.net
Sat Jul 29 15:50:46 CDT 2000

on 7/29/00 3:28 PM, Maarten Deen at mdeen at xs4all.nl wrote:

> Hi everyone, just wanted to share this:

> So far so good, but it is coming close. Quantum quotes a maximum
> operating environment temperature of 55C. It's about 23C in the room and I
> fitted a temperature probe between the two disks. At the moment it reads
> 52.7C. Still on the green side :-)

In my opinion, still a little too close to redline :-) .

> System info at the moment:
> SS5/110, 160Mb memory, TGX+ framebuffer (at far left slot), 2xQuantum
> Atlas III harddisks, floppydrive. I've also fitted the small fan assembly that
> comes with the SS20.

Suggestion:  there are fans that fit directly on top of hard drives (or
directly underneath) that will cool the drive.  Alternatively, if there is
an open 3.5 or 5.25 inch slot there are fans that will fit there too.

link:

http://www.cablesnmor.com/pc-cooling-fan.html

take out the CDROM and put this in instead...or something similar.  Put the
CDROM in an external case if you need a CDROM.

I had a customer that had 2 9GB Seagates in a PC case (running SCO - ugh),
that ran so warm that even the mounting bracket was hot to the touch.  I
added these fans and they had no more problems with overheating.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
a222 at redrose.net
patrick at zill.net