[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that So laris 8 won't runn

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 13 13:26:47 CDT 2000

> or you could get a bunch of SS2's, make a copy of your hard drive, and
> when the thing fails, grab a different one off the pile, slap in the HD
> and off you go.  As far as I've seen, odds are you won't have to do that
> too many times, as most seem to be planning on running til judgement
> day, or when someone spills a bit too much Mt. Dew on it....

You know, that is a good idea.  I do basically that same thing with my
pile (30 odd boxes in the basement and maybe 20 of them up/networked and
the rest for reach-and-replace spares).  I keep clones of the OS HD's
on the shelf for an instant restore, and then only have to do real
backups of the user junk particular to a given machine.  That I do
on-line, redundantly, and if precious, to tape or cd.

The hardware, other than HD's, seems to run forever, but, I usually
wind up nuking a few HD's a year from motor/platter/powerburp bellyup.
The old drives are good, but, reaching their end of life.  But, at
a buck or two each in surplus, I find it good karma to just keep
a few clones handy, on the shelf, ready to load in a couple of minutes.

What does the rest of the herd do?

Bob