[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

AaronD.Techeteche at biostat.wisc.edu AaronD.Techeteche at biostat.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 13 12:49:42 CDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 07:27:26PM -0500, Roger Walkup wrote:
> Apple did the samething in the k-12 schools.  From my personal experience as
> an *old* (40) student and a part time worker in one of the tech offices at
> University of Wisconsin-Superior, the people who run the labs, maintain the
> network, and take care of the staff/faculty offices are pretty ignorent about
> unix of any sort and, in some cases, little better than power users of MS
> software (eg. they know how to install a custom version of Office 2000).  The
> computer science dept has bought *an* Ultra 10 which will be used as a server
> for compsci classes next year.  Most of the comp sci profs are big fans of
> NeXT, but that's dead.  A recent grad donated 4-5  classics, but they're not
> all running yet.  Looking around on the internet, I don't see much difference
> in other UW campuses.  It's a wasteland.

Here, at UW-Madison, there is a lot of Sun stuff floating around.  I help
admin a smallish department with about 60 Sparcstations.  We have
still have sun4c machines in production as singal task machines.
We have all of the sun4c machine running sol2.6 without CDE.

While, we do have some WinNT Terminal Server boxes to give the clerical staff
a work platfrom and allow the faculty to exchange documents, the majority of
the work is done under Solaris or Linux.

The state contract with Microsoft doesn't force us away from UNIX.

Aaron

Aaron D. Teche   teche at biostat.wisc.edu
Biomedical Computing Group
K4/564 CSC  (608) 262-7230