[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

P.A.Osborne P.A.Osborne at ukc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 02:57:57 CDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 05:04:50PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Microsoft is pushing NT into schools as hard as they can...so
> they'll have wave after wave of college grads who've seen nothing but
> NT, so they'll order NT when they get to their new jobs.

We notice that.  Some of the students here are starting to demand
Unix access (they dont get it by default - Unix isnt sexy - apparently)
so they can mention it on their CVs - worringly though the Comp Sci
students do get access to Unix and only around 20% of them use it
during their first year - at least.

I do notice as News Admin (amongst other things) that our local unix
questions news group gets quite a lot of traffic.

However UKC has 'won' a contract to help get other  colleges initially
connected to JANET and hence the internet - and we are not overly
keen to recommend MS software for running mail/www/proxys etc.

So hopefully word will spread about Unix - the problem is training them.

--Paul