[SunRescue] Rescuing software / mounting CDs

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jan 31 18:18:21 CST 2000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 ward at zilla.nu wrote:

> Can't help with the CD problem, but I can tell you that it requires a license
> to operate, and it can be locked to a host/display or to a user.  It worked
> quite well under HP-UX, but it's just a 68LC040 emulator running 7.1, I think.
> Not much still runs under the old 68k CPUs.

MAE 3.0 update 4 is the last release.  It runs a slightly tweaked version
of 7.5.3, and is actually quite fast.  Much better than MAE 1 and 2.  It
will be painful on a Sparc 2, though, probably somewhere in between a Plus
and an LC in performance.  My old Sparc 10/61 just managed IIci
performance, except in video (which was much slower due to going through
X).  A modern Ultra gets performance comparable to a first generation
PowerMac.

The license issue is a sticky one.  There were two types of licenses
available, those for "real" customers and the 30-day trial licenses that
could be obtained for free.

If the original poster can't get a license key despite owning a copy of
the product (MAE is dead and gone now, partially thanks to Jobs) then
please let me know.

-James