Re(2): [SunRescue] Solaris 2.5.1/PPC

ward at zilla.nu ward at zilla.nu
Mon Jan 31 19:13:05 CST 2000

IBM's a lot like HP, Apple, Sun, and Intel in that regard.  :)  They all like to
stab their partners and leave them holding the bag.

So, for the PPC, we would have had OS/2, AIX, MacOS (for CHRP), Solaris, NT,
and BeOS.  Of course, IBM killed OS/2 PPC, MacOS never made it to CHRP, Solaris
got dropped (I assume), NT got dropped due to MS not being able to figure out
Endian issues (I personally think it was to hurt PPC as a platform), and Be will
likely drop PPC since they don't want to support the G3 without Apple supplying
the info.

I guess that leaves us with MacOS, MacOS Server X, AIX, BeOS, Linux, and BSD.
Not a bad selection of OSs, and I still love the PPC platform for its power,
price, and flexability.

Funny how Intel claims to have innovated the whole Merced/Itanium stuff, when it
is merely a PA-RISC with an x86 subset.  It's also not quite so innovative when
you look at a PPC:  largely a Power CPU with an m68k subset.

Reagen