[SunRescue] Ultra 1 vs. beefy Sparc 20

Eric Ozrelic erico at bendcable.com
Thu Jan 20 07:45:10 CST 2000

I'm running Solaris 2.7. When I'm working in CDE I want everything
to be crisp and snappy. Whenever I do anything the CPU monitor goes off the
charts.
I'm spoiled by using fast cheap Intel hardware. MS IE 4.01 takes like 20
seconds to load
on my Sparc 5. From what I understand because of the way the Sparc 5's
architechture
and processor are designed they are slower then most Sparc 10/20's with
lower MHz
ratings and a large onboard cache. I guess I could run Solaris on my Intel
box but
I really don't want to.

Regards,

Eric Ozrelic