[SunRescue] Ultra 1 vs. beefy Sparc 20

Kris Kirby kris at hiwaay.net
Thu Jan 20 08:04:27 CST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Eric Ozrelic wrote:

> I'm running Solaris 2.7. When I'm working in CDE I want everything
> to be crisp and snappy. Whenever I do anything the CPU monitor goes off the
> charts.
> I'm spoiled by using fast cheap Intel hardware. MS IE 4.01 takes like 20
> seconds to load
> on my Sparc 5. From what I understand because of the way the Sparc 5's
> architechture
> and processor are designed they are slower then most Sparc 10/20's with
> lower MHz
> ratings and a large onboard cache. I guess I could run Solaris on my Intel
> box but
> I really don't want to.

The last Ultra 10 I used took 20 seconds to load MSIE. Of course, that was
over the LAN, but still. MS anything blows. I'm glad they haven't ported
it to x86 based UN*X.

UN*X: My OS may not have nuts, but when the kicker is going around, it
doesn't go down.

---
<kris at nospam.hiwaay.net>    |
"God gave them the ability to reproduce...
	... Science gave us the hope they won't." -KBK