Re(2): [SunRescue] 4/6xx capabilities?

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Tue Jan 11 13:40:47 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>Unless you need more than 512MB RAM (or 128MB using 4MB SIMMs) then you
>only need the CPU board.  It takes two VME slots, but has 4 sbus slots
>onboard for expansion.  For the most part, additional VME cards are only
>needed if you must support legacy hardware.  Sbus is much faster and the
>cards are plentiful.
>
>Stock up on 4MB 80ns or faster 30-pin SIMMs.  You'll need them.
>
>-James

Actually, if you get an MP processor board, it does have 4 Sbus slots, but
one of the two processors will block one.  So you get 3 usable Sbus slots
and 2 Mbus, or 1 Mbus and 4 Sbus.

The 690 VME backplane is different than the others, and I have yet to get
my 690 to see the additional RAM card in a 4/260 Chassis

Tim