[SunRescue] 4/6xx capabilities?

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 11 13:43:53 CST 2000

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, BSD Bob wrote:
>
> > OK, for the sake of discussion....  If I want to try to put together
> > a reasonable board set for a 600 class machine, what boards would I
> > need to look out for?  I have a couple of 12 slot cases that could
> > use an update from a 3/160 class machine.
>
> Unless you need more than 512MB RAM (or 128MB using 4MB SIMMs) then you
> only need the CPU board.  It takes two VME slots, but has 4 sbus slots
> onboard for expansion.  For the most part, additional VME cards are only
> needed if you must support legacy hardware.  Sbus is much faster and the
> cards are plentiful.
>
> Stock up on 4MB 80ns or faster 30-pin SIMMs.  You'll need them.

OK, sounds good.  Is there an internal scsi output on the cpu card,  so
I can take output to internal disk drives (after all, the 12 slot case
can hold two in the top bay (4 3.5 inchers) plus tape (or CD), and
one could mount several on blank VME cards or the old metal case air
flow partitioners (darn, I threw most of mine away!).  Heck, with a
little metalwork, one could put a CD, a half height tape, and 4 HDs
easily in the thing, and have a fairly nice home server.

Thanks

Bob