Re(2): [SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Thu Jan 6 16:43:11 CST 2000

Apple used to have a superb runtime database called the apple spec
database.  I would like to see something similar for the sun equip.  I was
going to post the url to the apple download, but they have apparently
taken it off the site, and replaced it with an online database.  If
someone has a Mac and wants to see the format, I have the old one.  It
would allow a fairly indepth overview, allowing comparisons between the
different models, and also had specifics for every model, including case
style, shipped memory, max memory, memory type, original OS, last
supported OS, HD size, Soft or hard power switch, power supply cap. if CD,
what speed, just about everything one could want to know about a machine.
I think this would be a good style of document to make, not instead of the
one under discussion, but along with.  Because the wide range of preferred
machines we all run, I don't think a filemaker run time would be a valid
format, but the information in tab or comma delim text would be nice, as
it could be read by your spreadsheet or database app of choice.  I enjoy
playing with this kind of database, but don't have a lot of experience
with the nomenclature used by Sun.  I'd give it a shot if someone would be
willing to proof for me.

Tim