Re(3): [SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Thu Jan 6 16:58:40 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>Apple used to have a superb runtime database called the apple spec
>database.  I would like to see something similar for the sun equip.  I was
>going to post the url to the apple download, but they have apparently
>taken it off the site, and replaced it with an online database.  If
>someone has a Mac and wants to see the format, I have the old one.  It
>would allow a fairly indepth overview, allowing comparisons between the
>different models, and also had specifics for every model, including case
>style, shipped memory, max memory, memory type, original OS, last
>supported OS, HD size, Soft or hard power switch, power supply cap. if CD,
>what speed, just about everything one could want to know about a machine.
>I think this would be a good style of document to make, not instead of the
>one under discussion, but along with.  Because the wide range of preferred
>machines we all run, I don't think a filemaker run time would be a valid
>format, but the information in tab or comma delim text would be nice, as
>it could be read by your spreadsheet or database app of choice.  I enjoy
>playing with this kind of database, but don't have a lot of experience
>with the nomenclature used by Sun.  I'd give it a shot if someone would be
>willing to proof for me.
>
>Tim

replying to myself (well, I was still thinking) is (was) there a standard
shiiping "model" of the servers, like the 690 MP? or were those machines
all built to spec?  if so, this document I would like to originate
probably wouldn't work for them, I would limit it to models you could buy
in a box, which would include all the desktops, and I would guess all the
deskside machines, just not the big servers.  My goal is not to generate
an all encompassing reference, but a quickly searchable database for those
"You've got an IPC, hmm that came with 4M , has 12 slots which will hold 1
or 4M 30pin 33bit parity simms, xby36 will work, so this is what you need
to put 32M of Ram in it...." type of questions, the kind of thing that
could be blown up into a wall chart.