[SunRescue] What 4/xxx vme boards have on-board esp scsi?

jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com
Fri Jan 21 17:51:27 CST 2000

>Ahh, I have heard the ``wierd'' name bandied about, but am not sure of what
>exactly it means.

   I don't know exactly what's weird about it either, but the device is
known as 'sw' and is appears to be more related to the si than the esp.

>All I know is that the OpenBSD port works fine out of
>the box on the 4/110, but dies on the 4/260 with scsi timeout errors.

   That's better than NetBSD.

>I think James Birdsall was having similar problems.  NetBSD does the same
>thing on the sun3 scsi controllers.

   NetBSD/sparc support for booting from the si and sw is seriously broken,
especially the si, and even once I fixed that it just wandered off into
limbo.

>It also happens on the sun3 line
>sych as the 3/xxx machines with sun3 controllers.

   I was having problems with si SCSI timeouts on my 3/4xx, but now I'm
thinking that it was a cable problem. The original cable eventually failed
completely (the machine couldn't see the disk at all), so I replaced it,
and I don't think I've had any SCSI errors since.

   --James B.