[SunRescue] What 4/xxx vme boards have on-board esp scsi?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jan 21 12:49:28 CST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, BSD Bob wrote:

> I have been trying for the past year or so to get a working NetBSD/OpenBSD
> port on old sun4 VME hardware with sun3 controllers, with basically no
> good results due to scsi problems.  On a lark, I tried an aging old
> Sparc 4/110 board with the on-board esp controller, and lo and behold,
> the silly critter is running OpenBSD perfectly.  &%$#@! scsi controllers!

The 4/110 doesn't even have "normal" esp controller, it's a weird mutant
thing.

> What specific cpu boards would folks recommend me to look for in VME sun4
> boards for a little more horsepower than the 4/110 board?

4/300.  Faster (25MHz), fairly easy to expand (has 8 SIMM slots on board
that can take 1MB or 4MB and you can find 48 SIMM expansion cards).

The 4/400 is faster still but has no onboard SCSI.

> What specific cpu boards have on-board video, or is the 4/110 the only
> one?

The 4/300 has a P4 connector for a framebuffer.  P4 cg6 cards should be
nearly free nowadays.

Of course, you could always go for broke and try to find a 4/600 board.

-James