Re(2): [SunRescue] Ultra 1 vs. beefy Sparc 20

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at double-barrel.be
Thu Jan 20 10:18:21 CST 2000

Tim,

Just a point I was making... No flamewar was intended ... however my real
reason for not prefering Intel systems is the simple fact that when you
get a system like that you allmost have to get 2 or three of those boxes
to be able to replace the parts when they break... I mean I've had to
replace complete Intel systems ( minus disk + monitors ) just because I
could not find any spare parts to fix the systems. In my environment
where systems have to be maintained on a shoestring budget..one can not
afford to replace memory + cpu + mainboard + video + scsi subsystem
just because the mainboard manufactor has quitely stopped supporting that
type of board after 3 - 4 months and your memory + cpu also need renewing
so you end up doing that first just to realize that the SCSI subsystem is
not up to snuff anymore and you want to squize all out of the hardware you
want so you replace that also just to be shure ... not to speak of video
boards ..( I had a box full at one time because card x rev z was not
correctly suppored in os y etc ).

That is one the main reasons i'm hostile against Intel ... I like the bare
cpu's fine enough but the manufacturors of the periphial hardware have
made a big mess of that platform. I mean when I purchase systems I can
only write them off after 5 years...so I need to be shure to still find
spare parts for 5 years to keep the machines going...otherwise I have to
write off the accounting value of the system...

Michael
-----
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28			http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/
B 9000 Gent			ftp://ftp.double-barrel.be/pub/linux/
Belgium				tel : 32-9-2227764 Fax : 32-9-2224976