[SunRescue] Silly Question.

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Jan 20 02:33:41 CST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Kent Rankin wrote:

> 	Actually, I was playing Quake on a Onyx RE2 Deskside the other day, and
> was actually *RATHER* impressed when playing at 1280x1024.  Didn't
> recall it being nearly as fast.

Pretty impressive, and Onyx/RE2 systems are starting to get really cheap.
I'd much rather go with one than an Octane for most things anyway.

Did you have full-screen antialiasing turned on?  That sucks cycles like
there's no tomorrow but looks beautiful.

> 	I don't even want to think about what it would be like on a Onyx2 IR.
> I mean, we're talking nausea.  Not to even dream on what it would be
> like when viewed through a 6-sided CAVE.  *shudder*

CAVEs are very nice.  The one we had at ISI running off of an Onyx2 IR
8-CPU rack was tremendous fun after-hours.  "Holodeck Mk. 1".

-James