[SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Wed Jan 5 15:44:07 CST 2000

> Chris Petersen wrote:
> >
> > [snip!]
> >
> [...]
> >
> > I definetely think there needs to be a seperate section as there is now for
> > addressing the workstations and servers as a "type" of hardware, as opposed
> > to lumping the whole thing together.  Say, a section with the basics on the
> > lineup by architecture, followed by sections in detail on each style of
> > machine, cross-linked to appendices based on host-bus architecture.
>
> So you're saying don't lump servers and workstations together, right?
> Just want to make sure I can still read.

Whoops, now that I reread that, I'm confused myself...

What I meant was lump all the actual machines together, just don't lump that
content together with ALL of Sun's hardware (namely I/O cards, keyboards,
etc...).  Which is an opinion probably motivated by my misreading your
original post.

However, it would be a great idea to note where things were essentially a
server versus essentially a workstation, although that line kind of blurs
with the older Sun equipment.  Sun themselves haven't been too good about
that type of delineation until the Ultra series came out.

[snip!]

> > A. Introduction (some rough history of Sun, purpose of FAQ)
> > B. Sun Hardware Specifications (Basics, bus, speed, memory type)
> >           1. Sun1
> >           2. Sun2
> >           3. Sun3
> >           4. Sun3x
> >           x. ...
> >         x+1. Chronological Reference chart
> > C. Architecture, Hardware Specifics
> >           1. Sun1 Architecture Notes
> >                 a) SUN 1 Hardware Notes/Errata
> >                 x) ...
> >           x. ...
> >           x. Sun4m Architecture Notes (maybe list of modules, etc)
> >                 a) SPARCStation 5 Hardware Notes/Errata
> >                 b) SPARCStation 10 Hardware Notes/Errata
> >                 c) SPARCStation 20 Hardware Notes/Errata
> >                 x) ...
> > D. System Options, Processors, etc. by Bus (or in the case of non-bus specific,
> >    by function)
> >           1. MultiBUS
> >           2. VME
> >           3. Sbus
> >           x. ...
> >           x. Keyboards & Mice
>
> I'm thinking that it would be worth breaking down the individual bus
> sections into categories for each type of card (lump SCSI cards
> together, etc).

Hmm, so perhaps breaking things down by function within the bus category?
Probably worthwhile.  At the very least, a nice cross-reference index would
be good (i.e. something listing all the SCSI cards, regardless of bus?).

[snip!]

> > It would be nice to take advantage of HTML for this, but whatever the end
> > result is it should also be conveniently be usable in pure text format.  By
> > that, I mean the links should not merely be hyperlinks on particular words
> > or references as much as there should be some sort of orderly reference
> > method that works both ways (not footnotes, but something that indicates
> > both visually and via hyperlink where you can get more information on the
> > subject).
>
> This document WILL be written in DocBook SGML, for portability, and
> maintainabliity.  I know for sure that I can create HTML, PS, plain
> text, and a couple of other formats from this, so it seems like the best
> solution for this problem.  DocBook also allows you to automagically
> create indexes and Tables of Contents.  Very cool stuff...

Hmm, not familiar with DocBook, but SGML sounds good to me.  Will it do any
sort of Palm format?  Would love to load my new PalmPilot up with a copy of
the reference for rescue trips...

And if it generates indices at all well, it should be trivial to generate
new variations of an index as I suggested.  I always like having multiple
ways of cross-referencing stuff.  Too much database work, I guess...

> > Oh, and if you want a good example of how not to do it, take a look at the
> > Sun FE sometime, if you have access.  It seems like I have to bounce all
> > over the place in it to find what I'm after.
>
> You mean the Field Engineers Handbook?  I've got one that I use as
> reference, but the oldest machines in it are I think Sun4m.  The content
> that I can put in there is a TINY bit about the SS20, and the info in
> the version that I downloaded from Mr. Bills page.  This means that I'm
> relying on you guys to help me flesh out the newer data.

Yep, that's what I referred to.  The layout used by Sun in the FEH is hard
to get used to at first.  I had expected to go to one page on the SS10, only
to find out that there's a half a dozen sections to look at depending on
what you want to know.  And IMHO their organization just didn't make sense.
I do have access to an older electronic version of the Sun FEH, so I've got
most of the SPARC era data, should we need to verify facts.

> > And if you need any help in this endeavor, Greg, give me a holler.  Me and a
> > couple of friends would be more than happy to help somehow, even if it's
> > just nailing down an organizational method.
>
> I'll try to do most of my brainstorming on-list, to make sure I don't do
> anything really stupid, and what we get the best document possible.
> Thanks again, and I hope to hear more from the rest of you,
> 	Greg

Not a problem.  Keep us posted, and once an organization scheme is hammered
out, you might consider posting that scheme and letting people offer to
write sections for you.  Might make things a little easier, you play editor
and farm out some of the writing :)  Most of us here have had to use
Birdsall's original reference for something along the way, and I'd love to
help contribute to a successor/enhancement.