[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

P.A.Osborne P.A.Osborne at ukc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 04:01:54 CST 2000

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 01:39:58AM -0800, Paul Khoury wrote:
> >1.  what is a 3/60?
>
> Sun VME workstation (though it's not the typical VME, just a one board system), 24 SIMM sockets,
> expandable to a P4 framebuffer (I believe the equivalent to a CG6), on-board SCSI, AUI, serial, the usual.

Aha,  thats what I wanted.

> Great machine, someone on the list gave me theirs - I have mine netbooting NetBSD, with 24MB of RAM.

Good,  NetBSD that will do.

> Oh yeah, and speed - 68020 @ 20MHz.  Boots really quick, too, for an older machine.

Eek,  my recently acquired Mac has a 68020.

> >2.  is it worth me sneaking it in the back door while the girlfriend
> >    is out?
> >
> Personally, I think it's a pretty good machine, so yeah, why not?  What have you go to lose?

Cedibility at work as I will be likely to use a spare IP address here
so I can net install NetBSD on the thing.

I can hear it all now:
"You sad bastard we ditched all of ours years ago,  before you started
as staff - thank the maker".

:-)

> This will be your new mission, should you accept it... =)

Probably,  I have yet to see the physical state of this crate.

--Paul