[SunRescue] Real ISP

Kent Rankin krankin at usit.net
Mon Feb 28 03:29:48 CST 2000

> I have just noticed a processor manual for a clipper on a shelf above
> my desk... from before my time.
>
> Any ideas what one of these may have been installed in?

	An Integraph workstation.  They ran a UNIX-ish OS called CLIX.  [gag]

	They were decent little workstations if you were running CAD software.
Otherwise, take my advice and pick up heroin or something.  It's better
for
you than Intergraph workstations.  Quite literally, I'm sure that the
stress
from such an environment is worse on you that most street chem's.  *LOL*

	I have to admit that the strangest thing about the systems would
either be their monitor connector(a 7-coax version of the 13w3; I'm
unfamiliar
with this sort, could a EE out there gimme a hand with the proper name?)
or
their keyboard.  The keyboard had, if I recall correctly, four rows of
supplemental keys above the usual QWERTY/F-keys.

	The workstation's that I've been around have always been of the
InterPro line, and came in either a desktop(about like a dual height
pizza box in size), or a deskside(a 4/260 would be the best example of
the chassis that comes to mind).  The Clippers always had SCSI and
Ethernet
to the best of my knowledge.

	Mind you, the systems previous to the Clipper-era were damned
impressive as far as their appearance goes.  *grin*  One workstation
that I've seen quite a number of in my time happens to be a repackaged
VAX 8350.  Now *THAT* is a deskside workstation!

	I've got access to a number of copies of CLIX, tablets for InterPro's,
etc, etc.  should anyone be looking for something, send word, as one of
Intergraph's higher-up's(seventies to about ninety) is a personal friend
and always loves to discuss those bastard workstations with anyone that
is far gone enough to be interested.  *grin*

	Does anyone else know of a workstation that contained a Clipper?

	I'm trying to remember if Fairchild made a synthesizer/music
workstation.  That might sound quite odd, but I seem to remember such
a thing.  Went for about $30,000, had a light pen, etc, etc.

							-Kent Rankin