[SunRescue] A couple of things.....

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Tue Feb 8 22:37:32 CST 2000

First, if anybody is interested in a "real cheap" IPC board
let me know.  I got one on E-Bay for cheap ($7 for board
plus shipping...I bothered with it since I had this empty IPC
case sitting here, figured it was a cheap investment....put
it in, filled it up with 32MB of 4MB simms I had from some old
486's, and vola, a very cheap sun...spent $4 on a real cheap
SCSI drive "as is" at a swap-type computer show, but that looks
like it was a bust...) Anyway, the guy who sold it to me has
two more (for the price of shipping) but they're "as is" as
well.  The one I got fires up ok... the bw buffer (stupid me,
didn't check the video when I saw that it was a 13W3...) drives
an old Sony color monitor I have here (in a flickering sort of
way...luckily without blowing it..) so I could see that it tested
out memory ok. The only thing I'm missing is an NVRAM for it.

So, my second request.  From the earlier discussions, it seemed that
there were places to pick up un-programmed NVRAMs, but I was wondering
if someone had one sitting around from an old IPC they'd be willing to
part with...I'm willing to pay a little, but this machine isn't work
any huge investment....just scrap parts as they come up...
(BTW, is there any difference between the NVRAMs between the
various models...i.e. could I plug a SS10 NVRAM into the IPC?
what would be the implications?? Is there any machine specific
info in the NVRAM?...I've never done any reading to know what
all was stored there, aside from what I heard about the ethernet
address and machine id being there [is that correct?])

Earl