[SunRescue] recommendations: IPX or SS-2?

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Feb 3 13:51:29 CST 2000

This is kind of silly.  7200RPM drives are not inherently hotter than
5400RPM drives.  If you look at the first 5400RPM drives that came out, such
as some of the early Seagate HAWK drives, they are just as hot as the early
7200RPM drives.  If you compare some of the 5400RPM drives made 2 years
later to the 7200RPM drives made two years after that speed was introduced,
they're pretty close to the same running temperature.  Heat reductions are
part of the evolution of drives, and I expect that before too long 10K RPM
drives will be cool enough for use in Pizza Box SPARCs.
	Greg