[SunRescue] recommendations: IPX or SS-2?

bobk bobk at sinister.com
Thu Feb 3 14:23:57 CST 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> > single-drive IPX. This is borne out by experience. I would
> > suggest using
> > 5400 RPM drives instead of 7200 RPM drives for heat reasons,
> > unless you
> > are at a well-cooled facility. Even then, the speed vs.
> > reliability due to
> > heat generation comes in to play.
>
> This is kind of silly.  7200RPM drives are not inherently hotter than
> 5400RPM drives.  If you look at the first 5400RPM drives that came out, such
> as some of the early Seagate HAWK drives, they are just as hot as the early
> 7200RPM drives.  If you compare some of the 5400RPM drives made 2 years
> later to the 7200RPM drives made two years after that speed was introduced,
> they're pretty close to the same running temperature.  Heat reductions are
> part of the evolution of drives, and I expect that before too long 10K RPM
> drives will be cool enough for use in Pizza Box SPARCs.

I spoke from my experience, which shows higher speed drives to usually run
hotter. Physics and common sense should help explain this. Of course,
different drives run at different temperatures. I find that sun has
provided inadequate cooling for some of the hotter drives, in these
workstation, especially the IPX/IPC. As always, YMMV.