[SunRescue] SGI Indigo 2 Impact or Extreme?

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Feb 3 04:04:03 CST 2000

James Lockwood wrote:

> The only real deficiency of the Indigo2 is the lack of fast ethernet.  I'd
> rather have an I2 Max Impact than an O2 for most apps.

Don't forget the oh-so-awful I/O on that bugger. If you've lived in the
fast lane for a while, you don't even want to touch this one, especially
since you constantly remind yourself that "it's a R10000 sitting in
there".
I can understand this was a marketing thing just to "protect the
customers investments".

And oh yes, I'd probably still take an Indigo 2 over the O2, just
because of the texture support.
I'd take an O2 over an Indigo 2 just because of the (much) lesser noise,
far better I/O and somewhat PCI-support.
GIO/EISA? *shiver*

Although, Max Impact really flies. Really.

	/Regards, Bjorn