[SunRescue] WinNT on Alpha

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Feb 3 04:14:19 CST 2000

Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> The truth is it's a shame, the Alpha is a rocking cool machine, other than
> just serving up files and printer services and the other jobs NT is supposed
> to do, there is little software for the Alpha, I looked, thought it would be
> nice to outfit a bunch of machines in our office with NT on AlphaStaion
> 200's since the staff is used to M$ products, but, no office productivity
> software was to be found. Pity, these machines are very nice, just trapped
> in the wasteland of big puter companies and their greed.

It's a shame they'd need M$ to give the Alpha a fast introduction to the
market, but it sure was a smart move anyway. I've talked to several
(former) Digital service engineers, and they've _NEVER_ seen even one
Alpha with WinNT installed. (Thank God)
Nowadays we have OpenVMS (which was the original target platform),
True64 UNIX and all sorts of free-OS'. (Linux/Alpha ain't that bad)

Probably thanks to a big market introduction, they often use Alphas in
all sorts of cool things. One particular nice box is this one;
http://www.netapp.com
These are fast boxes, much because of it's intelligent software, but
oooooh so expensive... =(

> Putting on my asbestos undies, I am sure there be fire out there after that
> message.

Did someone mention "fastest CPU on the planet"?
Oops...

I'd better go get those undies now. :-)

	/Regards, Bjorn