[SunRescue] Solaris 2.5.1/PPC

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 00:59:24 CST 2000

At 10:24 PM 2/1/00 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Paul Khoury - Tech Support wrote:
>
>> Heh heh heh... A flop alpha - Can anyone think of a flop SPARC? (I
can't, but
>> I've only been into UNIX since my junior year in HS).
>
>Closest I can think of is the Sparc 4.  Basically a cheap, stripped down
>Sparc 5 with a pathetic powersupply (didn't even retain p/s state across
>power outages) and a hard drive mounting system that still makes me
>shudder (bolted over the motherboard).

Ouch.  Packard Bell quality, or better than that?

  No onboard audio and a half-decent
>onboard video (8bpp TCX).

That would be equivalent to which regular framebuffer, i.e. cg3, cg6?

>The powersupplies and boards had a reputation for premature death.

Well, now I feel bad I suggested a trade for the Alpha - the cooling is bad,
and the power supply is terrible.

>With all that said, they were cheap.  As CSUN we got a lab full of
>SS4/110's with 17" monitors for $2200/ea or so in 1996, a great deal for a
>Sparc at the time.  Sparc 5's were still pushing $4k.
>
>The E150 gets my bet for all time worst design, though.  Fairly reliable,
>just terrible design.

E150?  Which is that?  And what's with the Javastation and Netra?