[SunRescue] SS4 chassis/drives

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Feb 24 15:51:22 CST 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> What chassis does the SS4 use?  Something tells me that it's not the aurora
> chassis a la SS5/20, but I'm not sure.  Does it take 50 pin drives, or SCA?

Same case as the SS5/SS20.

The Sparc_Station_ 4 uses a wimpy 50W? P/S that doesn't retain power state
among other things.  It's a piece of junk.

The Sparc_Server_ 4 uses the regular 150W SS5/SS20 P/S.

Although the SS4 chassis has the metal bracketry for mounting hard drives
in SS5/SS20 style, it doesn't normally mount them this way.  It has a
single hard drive bracket bolted directly to the motherboard that accepts
an SCA drive in a SS5/SS20 sled.  Early versions had insufficient
vibration damping and had many problems.

There isn't normally an SCA disk card installed for the front bays.  You
can put one there from a SS5 or SS20 if you really want to.

Go for an SS5 if you can.  Back when the SS4 was $2k cheaper than the SS5
it made sense, but not now.  Actually, let me take that back.  They make a
decent "first sparc" for someone on a really low budget.

-James