[SunRescue] ISDN "taking off"... my telco lied

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Fri Feb 11 01:12:37 CST 2000

How exactly did you calculate this?  Sounds like a cool trick, since you
can't tap into the line (well, not legally).

> ADSL works up to 17500, or so "they" claim.

18000 according to my resources, but close enough.

> "They" told me no.

Yup.  :)  They like to do that.

> Isn't it retarded that the telco doesn't even want my business?
>
> Why... WHY do they lie like that? I bet that, technically, ADSL would
> "work" beyond that, too... there must be buffers already
> built into the
> the ranging scheme... stupid pinko telco.

As said before, it depends on a LOT of factors in addition to distance.  I
have a friend who's no more than 5000 cable-feet from the CO and can't get
xDSL because of some telco thing someplace (US worst wouldn't give me the
tech details).  I, on the other hand, am probably about 17999 feet from the
CO, since the line quality on my DSL line is 19DB.  The bare minimum for DSL
is 18, and the "typical" city or suburban home in the US has a line quality
of about 40 something.  BTW, none of that loss is inside my house, since
I've got CAT-V phone cable from the telco box outside the house to the only
jack.  Beat on them until they tell you WHY it won't work, so that you can
guestimate when it will be available.  If there's some line multiplexor in
the way, it could be a while, if you're slightly out of "range", it might
not take long at all.
	Greg