[SunRescue] Solaris 7 and SS10

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Feb 10 12:22:04 CST 2000

I'll try, just in the interests of making myself look like a fool.  :)

> Will an older PROM version on an SS10 prevent booting from a
> drive that
> was installed on a system with a newer PROM?  I built a new OS for a
> production machine on an SS10 with a 3.2x PROM, plugged it
> into the SS10
> with a 2.10 PROM, and I get something like SCSI message
> missed and corrupt
> disk label.  I haven't put the drive back on the newer SS10,
> yet, as it's
> in a different city.  Please tell me I didn't cook the drive
> in transit ;)

I don't see how a PROM downgrade could cause a drive to not work, unless
there was some piece of hardware on the motherboard that required a newer
prom to exist.  Actually, I'd expect that not to affect drives, but maybe
audio, or some other semi-trivial system.  Mind you, the latest PROM
revision I know of for the SS10 is 2.25, and not 3.2x.  That said, I don't
really get magic numbers.
	Greg