[SunRescue] Hi!

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:23:15 CST 2000

My Ultra SCSI DLT IV "looks" like it has the centronics SCSI-I connector,
but it is certainly using SCSI-II commands.  Connectors aren't a good way of
determing the SCSI type.

> > Sure the NCR 5380 can SCSI-II and thus the "si" may understand
> > some SCSI-II commands. The "sc" won't!!! And the SunOS driver
> > might not make use of any SCSI-II command...
>
> For 5MHz synchronous single-ended busses the SCSI-I hardware is
> sufficient and is a legal "alternative" in the SCSI-II spec.

Were all of these older Sun boxen using "standard" SCSI I or II?  I've
noticed that lots of the Sun machines seem to have kinda krappy SCSI
implementations, even compared to that old 8 proc Sequent 386/486 machine.
According to the docs, that SCSI bus was capable of 8MB/sec with
differential SCSI-I.
	Greg