[SunRescue] IDPROM problem with OPUStation PM 5000

Kurt Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Sun Apr 30 13:48:45 CDT 2000

>  ------------------------------------------------------------------
> |        OPUStation Personal Mainframe 5000, Type-4 Keyboard       |
> |        ROM Rev. 1.0, 8MB Memory installed, Serial #16777215      |
> |        Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID: 20ffffff.    |
> |                                                                  |
> |The IDPROM checksum is incorrect.                                 |
> |#                                                                 |
> |                                                                  |
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In my opinion the battery from the RTC/NVRAM is empty --> bad
> Serial, Ethernet and Host values.
> Was the IDPROM-checksum also stored in the RTC/NVRAM?
>
> What can I do to get the machine run? Do I have to reprogramm a new
> RTC/NVRAM with the (unknown) original values?

Without a shadow of a doubt, the NVRAM battery is dead.  It is
surprising easy to reprogram the NVRAM if you get a new one.  Look
for the "NVRAM HOSTID FAQ" linked to on the main Sunhelp.org page.
That has detailed instructions, as well as some part numbers for
replacement NVRAM chips based on hardware.  I don't think it mentions
teh OPUStation though, so you may have some research ahead.  Basic
reprogramming is easy though - the hardest part is ordering the
correct chip from Mouser Electronics (around $17 on thier webspace).

Don't worry about the original values so much.  The HOSTID FAQ will
give you some pointers - but it couldn't hurt to seek out someone
with a working OPUStation and have them send you the correct HOSTID.
As far as the ethernet address goes, you can use just about anything
you want, see the NVRAM HOSTID FAQ for specific guidlines.  Once you
have all the info, follow the step-by-step instructions and you'll be
ready to go.  You might want to experiment with the dead NVRAM just
to be sure you get things right before plugging in the new one - but
it's really difficult to foul up.

Kurt
kurthuhn at k-huhn.com