[SunRescue] What exactly is a Sun 4/25 ?

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Fri Apr 28 22:37:22 CDT 2000

According to the sigline here, seems that you're in the US, so I can't
figure out where you're coming from.  10/100 autosensing stuff is pretty
cheap, I got an 8-port 10/100 bridge (that's non-marketing for switch) for
$80, while around the $150 mark is pretty typical.  Nobody in their right
mind is purchasing ANYTHING 10Mbit only for buisnesses, and we're trying to
get rid of all of our 10Mbit only NICs.  It costs us less to get a PCI
10/100 Nic (3com) than it does to get any 10Mbit only from them.  10 Mbit
hubs are dirt cheap right now, but the only reason that I would use (and the
reason why I have one) is because they make it much easier to troubleshoot
network problems (sniffing on an unmanaged switch is futile, the only thing
you see is Samba).  The 100Mbit stuff for SPARCs is still pretty expensive,
but I imagine that somebody will develop Solaris drivers for either the
intel or 3Com PCI 10/100 adapters here eventually, which should really bring
the price down.  Now, if I could find a reliable source for SBUS cards (I
got one, but hey, I could use another).  BTW, anybody have a place where I
can get a dongle for the funky 14-pin mini-centronics type ethernet port,
fairly cheap?
	Greg