[SunRescue] Q: Regarding Sun Educator promo Ultra 5 system

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Apr 20 08:46:01 CDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Dont look at the Mhz - look at the cache.
>
> As an example, I had two systems:
>
> Ultra 5, 270mhz, 256k cache
> Ultra 1, 200mhz, 512k cache
>
> The U1 with 512k cache was effectively FASTER at a lot of things due
> to the increased cache - it made up for the difference in mhz.
>
> I'll take a slower CPU with bigger cache anyday.
>
> Bill

I realize the bigger cache wins...  but it seems like they
are trying to make people think they are getting a "better"
machine with the low end.

I find it obnoxious that they also made a 360Mhz with a really
pathetic cache where previously the 360Mhz was the one you wanted...
Until James pointed it out, I would've thought that a 360Mhz U5
had the 2M cache.  As a matter of fact, that's what I hoped for
with an U5 I'm setting up at work.  Oh well.

--Kurt