[SunRescue] sparc monitors need a home

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 17 03:51:41 CDT 2000

On April 17, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 02:58:59AM -0400, twmaster at earthlink.net wrote:
> > I am using a converter on my 20E20 bought from Oliver at http://www.si87.com
> > works freakin great!!
> > Mike "coming to you live from an HP-PA 715/100" N
>
> How's the speed on that /100?  On my 715/80, it took like around five
> hours to do a complete egcs "make bootstrap"; this is with 128mb RAM.
> I'd think the box would be faster than that, esp. from looking at SpecFP95
> and specint95 ratings...

  It seems the big strength of the PARISC architecture is in its
floating point performance.  Compilation won't use much FP.

  They seem like neat boxes so far, though.  I've only recently
started dicking with them.  I'm considering picking up an Convex
Exemplar SPP-1000 parallel supercomputer (8x PA-RISC 7100 processors
and a metric buttload of RAM) which runs a hacked-up variant of HP-UX
(as if HP-UX weren't a hacked-up variant itself!)...should be an
interesting box.

          -Dave McGuire