[SunRescue] SCSI disks and old SPARCs

Chris Powell Chris_Powell at mitel.com
Mon Apr 17 04:19:10 CDT 2000

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 15:35:03 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Never try to run an old-style Seagate Barracuda drive (one of the fully
> 1/2 height ones, 3.5" form factor) in a SPARCstation 1/2-type chassis.  I
> was using one to test a system, and let it run in the chassis WITHOUT THE
> COVER EVEN BEING ON.  When I went back to pick up the drive out of the
> system, it was so hot I got blisters, and not mild ones, either.

I guess I'm storing up trouble by running a Barracuda 2.1G in a loaded
IPC (48Meg, dual-slot CG6) then?! I've also got a SS1+ with a Micropolis
4221 (7200rpm).... Actually, I guess stuff may run hotter in a SS1 with
the lid off than on. With the lid on, there will be air flow from the
PSU fan across the chassis to the holes on the left-hand side.

Talking of the SS1+, it's got a weird SCSI problem. The monitor probe-scsi
works fine for the internal disks and external CD-ROM, disk in Sun 411
lunchboxes. However, when SunOS boots (it's running 4.1.4) I get all
kinds of SCSI time outs and switching to low speed errors. The CD-ROM
in the first 411 doesn't appear in the kernel boot messages, but the
disk in the second 411 does. The CD-ROM doesn't respond to mounts, the
disk does. If I unplug the two 411s, I only get the errors sometimes.
It's not the disks, cables, terminators or 411 PSUs.

Anyone seen this before? I suspect the SS1+ motherboard is poorly,
maybe the SCSI chip output driver is dodgy?

Chris.