[SunRescue] SBus Ethernet Card

S Condit s.condit at unite.net
Thu Apr 13 05:06:14 CDT 2000

I am having a bit of a problem with an SBus ethernet card (a 501-1881
AUI/10base2  lance). This card works perfectly (Thanks to Mike N for the
card BTW) when installed into an Axil 320 (SPARC 20 clone) under Solaris
2.6. But it won't work on a SPARC LX. The card is detected by the machine
at the boot prompt and by the various OS I have tried it with (NetBSD,
OpenBSD 2.6, Redhat 5.2) but it always fails to initialize, the message being

le1: failed to initialize

A quick search through deja shows a number of people have seen the same
thing with this card not initialising on a variety of platforms but
unfortunately I didn't see any answers on how to remedy this.

The card fails the external test at the boot prompt (test net) although I
see a link light when using a transceiver and when using the BNC connector
(after flipping the dip switches). I've tried it in both slots.

Anyone any ideas ??

On another note does anyone have a source for old Sun equipment in the UK
at a decent price - most of the resellers in the UK are charging huge
amounts compared to the US prices.

Thanks

Stephen Condit