[SunRescue] another HP question

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Tue Apr 11 20:37:10 CDT 2000

> Okay, turns out that I have TWO framebuffers (well, at least the built-in
> 8 bit one, comes up as "color graphics" in SAM, and then the other one,
> listed as a "HCRX24").  My question is:

8-bit built-in is technically referred to as the "Artist" graphics...
HCRX24 is an older 24-bit framebuffer, probably using the GSC bus connector.

> 1.  When I open up the system, there's definitely a SVGA connector on
> the "back" of the HCRX24 card, however, there's a plate covering it
> on the back of the 715.  I'm assuming I need to remove this plate to
> get to the connector so I can plug in a monitor.

Yep.  That's odd that the plate was left there in the first place, probably
was put in there in a hurry for you by Paramount?  The plate is easy to
remove, and should be fairly obvious how with the case open.  The only trick
part may be if this is using the older-style mount for the video card.  Then
you've got to go around the outside edge of the framebuffer and work it up
over the mount before you'll be able to get to the plate.

> 2.  Is there a way to get the 715 to *ignore* the built-in 8-bit
> graphics and use the 24-bit card as the system console and for all
> I/O?  From looking at SAM now, I can use it as a SECOND screen without
> a  problem....

Yes.  You'll need to access the "PROM" (the HP term escapes me at the
minute), which you should be able to do by hitting Esc when the nice HP
graphic & box shows up at bootup.  You'll have to change the graphics
setting in the PROM, this is where I get a little fuzzy (it's been a while
since I've done this, and there's no HP 71x series machines here at work).
I think in this case the proper setting for your graphics path (maybe it's
console path, don't remember at the moment) to graphics_1.x, where x is the
resolution and refresh rate setting for the monitor you're using.  I think
if you step through setting this, it'll give you the available options for
that setting.

I'll fire up my 715 when I get home and figure out the exact sequence, but
this should get you in the right direction.

Note:  Once you change the graphics path, you'll have to leave the monitor
plugged into the 8-bit until you boot up into CDE/VUE.  Then you can go into
SAM and change your main X-display over to the 24-bit buffer, and restart X.

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net