[SunRescue] nthelp website

Kurt Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Sun Apr 2 11:05:48 CDT 2000

>instinct is to exclaim "look out!".  Supposedly when the Exchange server
>was put together, they were told never to let it crash, because it's
>next to impossible to get running again (it's some detailed process to
>restore everything, and if you miss or get one step wrong, its back to
>square one... so I've been told).  The web mail "feature" crashes
>something like twice a week.  I could go on, but suffice it to say I'm
>happy my e-mail doesn't run through that house of cards (lucky for me
>student e-mail is on the E4000, I have yet to see Pine or the POP3
>server crash :).

Do you mean Blue Screen or hardware failure?  Exchange can be a bear to
restore from backup if nothing is documented about the setup - but if it is,
it should be a breeze using either BackupExec or Arcserve.  If circular
logging is enabled, it should also be pretty easy to restore all data after
a BSOD - but you do have to know exactly ho to do this.

Web Mail in Exchange sucks, you can't argue that point.  The convolutions of
permissions and ASP setup can drive a hardcore MS man to the point of
suicide.  If you think it's bad in the current form, try setting up a MS
Proxy server, and access Web Mail through that - talk about thumbscrews and
pungee sticks...

Kurt