[SunRescue] can't create route

Ed Pate Ed_Pate at CSX.com
Mon Nov 29 09:26:35 CST 1999

--------------024963E2886DF4364AA99D73

Don't think this belongs on this list, but here goes anyway... :-)

I've run into this problem before.  Seems that some file(s) in /etc are corrupted (out of sync,
actually).  Try the following:

# rem_drv xy
# rem_drv rts
# add_drv -m '* 0660 root sys' rts
# reboot

The reboot is REQUIRED.  The 'rem_drv xy' will fail if the xy driver was never installed, so if it
fails with a "no such driver" message, don't worry.  Everytime I've seen this happen that driver was
present.  I don't think the problem has anything to do directly with the xy driver itself.  Btw, was
this an upgrade, or a new install?  This should not happen with a clean install of 2.6.  I have only
seen this when Solaris 2.5.1 was installed with the "Everything + OEM" option and then upgraded to
2.6.  If this is different from your situation, please let me know.

If you look at your routing table, you will also find that the multicast route (for network 224.0.0.0)
is also missing.  In Solaris 2.6, there are two different methods for modifying the routing tables, 1)
the "rts" (Routing Socket Streams) module, which the route command uses; and, 2) the method used by the
kernel (directly modifying the data structures?) that is used by ifconfig and routed (et.al.?).  All
routing changes using method #1 will fail, but those using #2 will succeed.

Ed

> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:34:17 -0500 (EST)
> From: David Rouse <drouse at arlington.newsargus.com>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [SunRescue] can't create route
>
> We've got an ultra 1 running Solaris 2.6 that we are trying to connect
> to our network. We've got hme0 ifconfig'ed and the box can ping and
> telnet to the router on that network segment. But I can't create a
> static route so I can reach the rest of the network, which has been our
> normal way of doing things so far with three other Sun boxes.
>
> This is what I get on the command line:
>
> # route add default 192.168.0.129
> route: socket: Protocol not supported
>
> I assume the /etc/defaultrouter file is causing a similar message we see
> during booting.
>
> This situation doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the manuals I
> have. Any idea where I should start looking?
>
> ---
> David Rouse
> Network Manager
> Goldsboro News-Argus

--------------024963E2886DF4364AA99D73

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-366-5473
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;Mid-Tier Technical Services
adr:;;550 Water St, J976;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
fn:Ed Pate