[SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] URGENT: Need bootp server for Solaris 7

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Nov 1 14:34:18 CST 1999

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Chris Kozlowski wrote:

> I am familiar with the module board, and that is actually
> what I am referring to.  The CPU is not soldered -- it is torqued
> down onto the module board by way of four spring-loaded allen heads --
> and I wondered whether the module board is proprietary to a given
> CPU speed or whether any one of the litle buggers under the heat
> sinks will fit into another module board, say, one that might
> have a bent pin.

There is some variation of construction in the module boards, including
variations in the CPU holddowns.  Given how it is mounted, it might as
well be soldered, I wouldn't want to try pulling it.

There are some unique parts to each type of module carrier board.
Obviously, the amount of SRAM present can be different, and the strapping
for different CPU speeds is also different.  Which two modules are you
trying to swap between?

I'd much rather take a shot at fixing the bent pin.  Shouldn't be much
more difficult than unbending pins on MBus modules.  If you've got a
broken pin, try using an iron meant for SMT work.  At least you've got
nothing to lose by trying, when you're swapping out parts from a working
module you have quite a lot to lose.

As with MBus modules, if the pins are really badly mangled try breaking
off a piece of the outer plastic shell on the connector.  This makes it
much easier to get at the base of each pin.

-James