[SunRescue] sun3/50 booting problems

bobk bobk at sinister.com
Tue May 25 19:58:17 CDT 1999

I have this old sun3/50, and I am trying to boot it off of the big honking
old drives I have. I have a sun3 scsi to centronics-50 cable, but not
sun-sun3 cables. So I opened the case of the drive/tape unit with a
micropolis 1550 ESDI drive and put a internal to centronics-50 cable in
there, and have been attempting to use that, both with and without the
terminator.

The best I can get out of the thing is "Waiting for drive to spin up...",
which it never does. I see the drive apparently spinning up (lots of
activity on the little red light). It looks like it is at SCSI ID 0 (b
sd(0,0,0) seems to get results)

I have tried a few different values for this, what should it be? Is there
an LUN here? Maybe I am missing something. Does the drive need some jumper
to tell it to spin up on poweron? I have been unable to find any dox for
the micropolis 1550 online.

-That Damned Yankee Bob Keyes