[SunRescue] Quick IDPROM Question...

Chris & Amy Petersen havoc at APK.NET
Tue May 25 22:41:58 CDT 1999

James Lockwood wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 1999, Chris Petersen wrote:
>
> > The FAQ I'm referring to is the excellent NVRAM/IDPROM FAQ, reachable via
> > that link at www.sunhelp.org...
>
> Oh yes, that's right, hosted out of www.squirrel.com.  I knew I knew that
> name from somewhere...
>
> BTW Mark (if you're listening), I have a chunk of code to do hostid
> spoofing via procfs for people who need to move licensed static bins and
> who don't want to trample on the kernel.  Had to move a (legally licensed)
> WAIS server off of a dead machine last month so I put it together as an
> exercise.
>
> > However, it is encouraging to hear that somebody's working on an update to
> > the H/W reference, any details to offer or assistance needed?
>
> I'm trying to keep it in the same style, but I also want to add more
> introductory and FAQ material to address many of the questions that pop up
> in comp.sys.sun.hardware.  It's slow going, unfortunately, I haven't done
> much but add entries for Ultra h/w and compile more hardware trivia.

Good, good...sounds like the right idea to me...

> I know for a fact that I don't have the time myself to do a complete job,
> if anyone else feels up to doing a bit of writing too then I think we
> could do better.  Maybe even a CVS repository split up into subsections
> for a team effort?

I don't have the resources myself to host a CVS repository at the moment
(I *might* be able to set something up soon...), but I'm game for some
writing when things are ready for contributions.  If nothing else, I'm
more than willing to compile bits and pieces and organize things.  I've
been collecting links and tidbits for a few years now for a general
workstations site (stuff I promised to Bill ages ago, it's starting to
finally take form!), and I know theres some decent Sun stuff in there...

Chris